Safety is one of the most important aspects of owning a swimming pool. This is especially true for small children. Children are attracted to swimming pools and it only takes a few moments unsupervised for an accident to happen. One of the best ways to keep a pool safe when you are not using it would be to put up a fence. Unfortunately, this may not be enough to completely guard against accidental drowning. This is one of the main reasons that swimming pool alarms are now required by law in many areas for new pool construction.
Some states require pools to have at least one approved safety measure:
- An alarm that will audibly sound upon detection of unauthorized or unsupervised entrance to the water.
- An exit alarm on any doors and windows that provide direct access to the swimming pool area.
- Self closing and self latching mechanisms on any door that leads to the pool area.
- An approved pool safety cover that can support a minimum of 485 pounds.
- An enclosure completely surrounding the pool that is a minimum of 60″ tall.
- A mesh pool safety fence with self closing and self latching gates.
- Other means of protection or isolation of the pool area which are greater than those stated above.
Contact your Maui Swimming Pool Service, Ohana Pool & Spa, for more information on swimming pool safety.
Our services include weekly Maui swimming pool cleaning, maintenance, repairs, chemicals, plaster and resurfacing of your existing Maui swimming pool.